Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Scramble!

Greetings!

I've been busy lately. With the recent launch of the GOFUNDME campaign, my YouTube video, and EMS shifts, I haven't had much time for the blog. I've also been developing a media packet that I will present to local radio, TV, and newspapers along my trip. It turned out to be about 5 pages long!

When I first decided that I wanted to make riding for charity part of my trip, I had no idea it would be this much work! It's all good though. My multi-tasking skills have definitely been put to the test recently. My EMT-I recertification is coming up in January, so I've been rushing around trying to complete all the tasks associated with that.

 If you're interested in working in emergency services, I caution you; it comes at a price. If you think you can just put in minimal effort here and there, and still be a quality responder, you are gravely mistaken. We spend countless hours in training are required to participate in a minimum number of shifts per quarter. Don't let this steer you away, but understand the commitment level before you get involved.

The Go fund me has taken off so far! It made over $400 in 2 days. I'm really excited to try and meet the goal, and spread the word on my trip. I did read an article before I set up the page, stating that most campaigns only make about $1,000 before "capping out". This is due to using up your "close friends and acquaintances." I guess the key is sharing. I really need to work hard to get as much exposure as possible if I want to meet my goal of $2500. I remain confident that the goal is attainable. But if you're reading this blog, PLEASE be my advocate and SHARE, SHARE, SHARE!

I've been riding a lot lately, when I can. It's been really cold in the mornings (30 degrees), so my feet have turned to ice on many occasions. I've told myself to think of the desert heat I'll be exposed to in the near future, and how much I will appreciate Alaska's cool weather when that time comes. It keeps me going. I've been putting in about 14-40 miles every other day. The panniers I purchased have already been getting quite a bit of use, as I have been biking to the station for my shifts (8 miles away). It's easy to fill up the panniers when you know you will be at the station for 24 hours straight. I've attached a picture of my "office bag" contents. Accompanying is also the "laundry bag," and the "cold weather/rain bag," and the "lunch and snack" bag. Oh, and the "sleeping" bag...

In other news, I've secured my first night in San Diego with a "warm showers host" named "Lu Lack" and his girlfriend. They live somewhere right across from the airport. They answered up to my call, looking for a place to crash on the first night. They seem nice. My contingency plan if that falls through for any reason, is to stay at the Ocean Beach hostel @ $30 a night. Not a bad price for such a good local. Upon arrival to the airport, I'll have to get my bike box and reassemble the bike right there in the airport. Once that is done, Ill head to the local bike shop to get all of the bolts torqued to the right spec.  From there, I'll travel to Dicks Sporting Goods to pick up some fuel for my camp stove, then head for the pacific ocean 5 miles away. I want to touch my tires in the ocean before I leave so that when I arrived in St. Augustine in a few months, I can dip the same(hopefully) tires into the Atlantic; truly crossing the U.S. from sea to sea.

Well, I'd love to write some more, but I still need to finish my HAZMAT refresher for EMS, and who knows how long that is going to take.

Till next time,

Carter
 

No comments:

Post a Comment